The source of our Charism lies in the compassionate love of God, who emptied himself in Christ Jesus even to the point of dying on a cross (Phil.2:7-8). This love deeply affected St. Francis and our Founders and urged them to take concrete action. It also inspires us to make this love visible to others in our time and world.
As Sisters of Mercy of the Holy Cross, we are aware that we are loved, called and sent:
- To grow more deeply in the mystery of the Cross and Resurrection and draw trust, hope and strength from it.
- To see the world as God’s creation and all persons as God’s image; to respect their dignity and support them.
- To practice sisterliness and live the attitudes of Franciscan minor more deeply.
- To be with and for people, especially the less privileged, in compassionate love and solidarity.
- To hear the call of God in the varied needs of the present time and to respond with openness and enthusiasm.
- Nature is protected and preserved.
- Through our Charism, we take part in the Mission of the Church. We attempt to prepare apace for the coming of the reign of God, where all people are brothers and sisters.
Through our Charism, we take part in the Mission of the Church. We attempt to prepare apace for the coming of the reign of God, where all people are brothers and sisters.
The cross is central to our spirituality. It stretches in four directions – North, South, East and West- embracing all humanity in its saving mystery. It can be seen as a dynamic energy which reaches out to the entire universe. We see all the facets of our human experience contained in the metaphor of the four elements – Earth, Fire, Air and Water.
In the fourfold embrace of the Cross we can find:
- The Earth of our humanity.
- The fire of our vision.
- The Air of our inspiration.
- The Water of our sustaining environment.